One of the most google-searched terms recently in business is “Thought Leadership”. This is stated to mean that, “as a leader, you provide the best and deepest answers, to your customers’ biggest questions, in the formats your audience likes to consume.”
So as Christians we may ask, how does one become a thought leader? Am I suppose to be a leader? How do we reconcile this contrasting thought?
Becoming A Thought Leader
In today’s society, a thought leader is considered to be someone, who through their expertise and perspective, is able inspire and influence others in their industry and community. As Christians, we are supposed to influence the people around us and not the other way around. Therefore, we can establish ourselves as brand ambassadors for Christ. Thus, incorporating godly principles in the corporate world or community we lived in.
7 Steps to Become a Godly Thought Leader
1. Assess Yourself. What is it that you are really good at? What do people around affirm in you that you are an expert in? Look at your background, education, training and experiences to see where God is strategically positioning you to be a blessing to others.
2. Develop Your Voice. Once you identify your expertise or your niche, develop content. How can you communicate this properly to others? Hone in on your key message.
3. Focus on God’s purpose rather than yourself. Contrary to the world’s view, let us not elevate ourselves but rather magnify the lordship of Christ in our life. Let us point the attention to God as His instruments and vessels.
4. Walk the talk. Being consistent is one of the biggest challenge we could ever face. We need the daily working of the Holy Spirit in us to display the grace of God in our life. Impactful thought leaders must demonstrate a life that honors and pleases God.
5. Break down limiting beliefs. Fear and low self-esteem will paralyze us to fulfill God’s purpose in our life. It is important to relinquish every wrong assumptions we about ourselves, about others and the environment we are in. Our confidence and reliance can not be on ourselves or in our abilities. We must rely on Christ.
6. Build a good team. Gather people that understands our godly purpose and contribute to the overall goal. Teams need to have the right purpose, skill set, and character. This helps to develop more leaders who will eventually pass on the baton.
7. Influence others and establish a brand that leaves a mark. As we maintain a humble and teachable posture, we can effectively grow as thought leaders and learn how to influence others. The greatest legacy we can ever make for the generations to come is to point them to Christ.
In Matthew 5:14-16 it says, “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
It may take years for us to develop expertise, gain deeper insights and accumulate valuable perspectives. These things will help us to build a positive reputation for helping people. However, we need to start now so that we can cultivate that credibility.
Pray and ask God to start the process in you and connect you to people that can mentor and help you to be a blessing to others.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY DEVOTIONAL
Start your day together with God and the GOD TV team. Get a daily devotional and encouraging 2-3minute video direct to your inbox.Join today