Be Confident: God Never Gives Up On You!
Let’s look at some reasons why people aren’t confident and why we give up every single day:
- Lost motivation
- Damaged relationships
- External Influence
- Lack of confidence
Here are eight reasons why you can be confident; even when all of those negative things are weighing on you:
1) Don’t Put Your Faith in Yourself
One main reason why we quit trying to serve God is because we try to serve him in our own strength. We try serving Him in our own abilities.
Paul puts it this way: Philippians 3: – Put no confidence in the flesh.
In other words, forget self-reliance; it will fail you and cause you to give up.
Self-reliance is trusting solely in one’s abilities, qualities, and judgment.
2) Paul’s Success Did Not Come From His Résumé
Paul wrote much of the New Testament. He performed many miracles. He was an excellent teacher and preacher. He traveled the world preaching and meeting with leaders in Government and clergy. Paul was a huge success and he had the qualifications. Philippians 3:5-6 tells us about Paul’s background:
- Born a Jew from the tribe of Benjamin- (A Jew of Jews).
- Born in Israel-Born and bred in the land- (A Hebrew of Hebrews).
- A master of the Law-PHD- (A Pharisee).
- Followed the law “to the T”- He was “faultless”
- A zealous follower to the point of persecuting all who opposed the teachings – including Christians.
Paul’s success, however, did not come from his resume. Paul says in Philippians 3:3 “ Do not put any confidence in the flesh.” Forget self-reliance.
3) We Have a Race to Run
Paul is saying “listen here, we have a mission in life. We have a goal. We have a race to run and the only way we will succeed is to put our confidence in Christ. Our prize is Christ Himself. The greatest prize any of us could ever win! In the end we will be like Him (Philippians 3:21).
4) Put Your Confidence in Christ
Paul put aside his education, his experience, his expectations and instead put his trust, his plans, his ambitions, his goals, his dreams, his future, and his entire life in the hands of Christ. He put aside his self-reliance and instead put his confidence in Christ.
We can’t do it but with Gods help, we CAN do it, and with confidence!
5) God says you CAN
If God says “you can,” then you can! If God says, “you shouldn’t “ then you should never try.
No one can stop God’s plan for you.
Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” That means we can do everything in God’s will for us, but not by our own willpower, but by His strength!
6) Confidence Comes Through Faith
True confidence is activated by faith. Faith requires that you stop worrying about failing and believe that God will give you the ability to succeed in doing what He has called you to do!
- Faith stops listening to other voices and listens to Gods voice.
- Faith and confidence will cause you to focus on whom God has called you to be rather than trying to be like someone else.
- Faith and confidence do not say” If only…”
If only I had more money…
If only I had a better education…
If only I had better parents…
If only I had more friends…
If only I had a better job…
7) Fear Has Been Defeated!
- Fear is an enemy.
- Fear stops us: Fear of failure, fear of being laughed at; fear of what people think.
- Fear never leaves for good.
- Fear will require confrontation.
- Fear is defeated by faith + hope + love!
8) He Is Strong When We Are Weak
Confidence in Christ takes the focus off our strength and puts it on His strength.
His strength is made perfect in our weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 says, “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
Be Encouraged; Take Heart!
In closing, I want to remind you to take the pressure off yourself and stop trying to impress others. Trying to impress and please others all the time only leads to disappointment and misery. It’s time to put your confidence in Christ and rise up to answer the calling on your life and become the person God has intended you to be.
Let’s take a look at some familiar names who should have given up according to the world, but never did. Taken from 50 Famously Successful People Who Failed At First:
- Henry Ford: While Ford is today known for his innovative assembly line and American-made cars, he wasn’t an instant success. In fact, his early businesses failed and left him broke five times before he founded the successful Ford Motor Company.
- R. H. Macy: Most people are familiar with this large department store chain, but Macy didn’t always have it easy. Macy started seven failed business before finally hitting big with his store in New York City.
- Soichiro Honda: The billion-dollar business that is Honda began with a series of failures and fortunate turns of luck. Honda was turned down by Toyota Motor Corporation for a job after interviewing for a job as an engineer, leaving him jobless for quite some time. He started making scooters of his own at home, and spurred on by his neighbors, finally started his own business.
- Walt Disney: Today Disney rakes in billions from merchandise, movies and theme parks around the world, but Walt Disney himself had a bit of a rough start. He was fired by a newspaper editor because “he lacked imagination and had no good ideas.” After that, Disney started a number of businesses that didn’t last too long and ended with bankruptcy and failure. He kept plugging along, however, and eventually found a recipe for success that worked
- Oprah Winfrey: Most people know Oprah as one of the most iconic faces on TV as well as one of the richest and most successful women in the world. Oprah faced a hard road to get to that position, however, enduring a rough and often abusive childhood as well as numerous career setbacks including being fired from her job as a television reporter because she was “unfit for tv.”
- Jerry Seinfeld: Just about everybody knows who Seinfeld is, but the first time the young comedian walked on stage at a comedy club, he looked out at the audience, froze and was eventually jeered and booed off of the stage. Seinfeld knew he could do it, so he went back the next night, completed his set to laughter and applause, and the rest is history.
- Lucille Ball: During her career, Ball had thirteen Emmy nominations and four wins, also earning the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Kennedy Center Honors. Before starring in I Love Lucy, Ball was widely regarded as a failed actress and a B movie star. Even her drama instructors didn’t feel she could make it, telling her to try another profession. She, of course, proved them all wrong
- Elvis Presley: As one of the best-selling artists of all time, Elvis has become a household name even years after his death. But back in 1954, Elvis was still a nobody, and Jimmy Denny, the manager of the Grand Ole Opry, fired Elvis Presley after just one performance telling him, “You ain’t goin’ nowhere, son. You ought to go back to drivin’ a truck.”
- Michael Jordan: Most people wouldn’t believe that a man often lauded as the best basketball player of all time was actually cut from his high school basketball team. Luckily, Jordan didn’t let this setback stop him from playing the game and he has stated, “I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game-winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
This article was written by Ward Simpson, who leads the global GOD TV network. Ward is the host of many GOD TV broadcasts including his series Today With Ward. A leader at Brownsville, his passion is souls, Israel and revival.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY DEVOTIONAL
Start your day together with God and the GOD TV team. Get a daily devotional and encouraging 2-3minute video direct to your inbox.Join today