“For God, who said, ‘Light shall shine out of darkness,’ is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 4:6)
Life has a way of “knocking the wind out of us” sometimes. Wave-upon-wave can hit in multiple directions forcing those caught in the onslaught to feel overwhelmed. Spiritually speaking, many people have been facing several trials and challenges causing feelings of “being socked in the gut”. Which begs the question… Has your life been filled with a downpour lately—storms of life that have been slamming and swirling leaving you gasping for air?
Personally, I have also been dealing with difficulties this past year…Enough to make me drop my pen and stop writing. This feeling of exhaustion and deep pain that made me “press the pause button” and reflect on the lessons God was teaching me through this season of pruning. Despite the fact that I was processing and praying through this “pause”, I have learned that God can use our personal hurt, turbulence, and storms to encourage others with our stories.
So, once I was released to pick up the “pen” again to write this article, I pray that if you are personally identifying with what you are reading, that you too will be encouraged. And, if you have also “pressed the pause” button on your God-given dreams and need some confirmation to “press the play” button again on what He wants to fulfill in your life, then I pray that you sense His Spirit resonate in your heart as you read this.
There is HOPE
BELIEVE HIS PROMISES OVER YOUR LIFE. Entering 2019, I reflected several times on a “word” for this year. I prayerfully pondered but had not gotten something specific…Not until my toddler asked me to draw a picture of something unexpected: a rainbow. On New Years Eve, we sat at the table drawing this beautiful symbolic picture. He asked me to draw raindrops, and then the vibrant colors representing hope…hope after the storm.
As I sat there, spiritual reminders began filling my heart: precious reminders of God’s promises. And, I imagined how Noah must have felt having endured a season of constant rain, only to see a vibrant rainbow paint the sky. This picture was timely and spoke to my heart to remind others to believe in “Promise” not only in 2019 but throughout life.
After we finished, we placed this picture on the wall to be a visual of this word of hope. As we have endured the rain and the waves and difficult seasons, may we look up and see God’s abundant faithfulness and breakthrough in our lives.
Focusing on His promises and remembering His personal rainbows to us give a “second wind” for the hard days. Shortly after placing this drawing on our wall, our area experienced a downpour of fog and rain that was rather dreary and discouraging. Several days without sunlight…The best descriptive word would be “blah”. But, those days of drab only intensify the vibrancy of the sunlight, and that is exactly what happened when the sunlight peaked through the clouds.
“Focusing on God’s promises and remembering His personal rainbows, give us a second wind.”
As I walked through my kitchen and saw the heavens open up and light piercing through the all-to-familiar scenery, I was overcome by the sign of hope that God was using to speak through everyday circumstances. His Light overcomes the darkness in our lives. His promises remove doubt and fear that try to overwhelm us. And, when we hold on to Him and claim His truth over our lives, the lies have to flee, the condemnation has to go, the truth prevails, and we can walk in His freedom.
If you are needing to be reminded of His promises over you, if you need to be encouraged in your God-given dreams, if the storms of life have left you shaken, then focus on the truth and open up the Word of God and write His promises down (you can start with some of the verses listed below).
Claim them over you and speak them out loud. Write down encouraging Scriptures that He is revealing to your heart or encouraging signs that He places in your life. Reflect on them and soak in the fact that God is there. He will not leave you or forsake you.
You are not alone. He is for you not against you. And, He will fulfill the promises HE has spoken to you. Trust Him. And, I pray and believe that not only this year but your whole life will be filled with “Promise”: His promises over you.
Encouraging Scriptures for your heart
- “Then Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the Light of life.” (John 8:12)
- “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14)
- “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
- “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”(Isaiah 43:2)
- “ ‘Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,’ says the LORD who has compassion on you.” (Isaiah 54:10)
- “ ‘No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from Me,’ declares the Lord.” (Isaiah 54:17)
- “The LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deuteronomy 31:8)
- “ ‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.’”(Jeremiah 29:11)
- *“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” ~John 3:16
- “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)
- “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
- “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)