Not all college-bound students want the bright light, and the big city feels of a large university. Sometimes you want a small-town feel and have greater access to teachers. Texas is full of these smaller institutions; Southwestern Christian College is one of them.
About Southwestern Christian College
- Location – This North Texas college is in the city of Terrell. It is on the outskirts of Dallas; one of the rapidly growing areas of Texas and a popular tourist destination.
- Accreditation – Southwestern Christian College is fully accredited through the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. They help students earn two-year Associates and four-year bachelor’s degrees.
- Denomination Affiliation – SWCC maintains an affiliation with the Church of Christ.
While Southwestern Christian College is a small school, campus life can be a major part of the decision-making process. If you are looking for a large institution, then this college campus may not provide the atmosphere you are seeking. But if you want a smaller class size, and a close-knit community, then here is a little about life at Southwestern Christian College.
- Living Accommodations – Students are not required to live on campus. However, they do have two residence halls; one for men and one for women. They also have a housing option called “cottages” for both men and women.
- Population – The college hosts around 150 students. They have a student to faculty ratio of 15 to one. They have a 100% admission rate.
- Student Life – The school consists of 21 buildings that include the two Residence Halls, multiple fine arts building, an auditorium, dining hall, and a student hall for recreational purposes.
- Spiritual Life – Having strong Christian roots, Southwestern Christian College encourages the spiritual life of each of its students. Bible study is part of the core curriculum. They endeavor to educate students and prepare them for the business world with a firm grounding in God’s word.
Popular Majors at Southwestern Christian College
The small college offers two degree programs. Each offers a path to an undergraduate degree.
- Undergraduate – They offer two major programs for students: an Associate of Science as well as a Bachelor of Science.
- Additional Programs – They have discontinued their Online Program and do not offer Graduate Courses. They do have an Acapella Chorus organization, and they offer Athletics that consist of basketball, track and field, and volleyball.
- Grades – SWCC requires a High School transcript or previous College credit hours completed or equivalent.
- Fees – Along with your application, there is a non-refundable $20 application fee.
- Cost – The cost of attendance for a full-time Freshman before financial aid at Southwestern Christian College is just over 17 per year; this includes room and board, books, and lab fees.
The Final Word
Southwestern Christian College offers many options for Financial Aid. In fact, 95% of students receive some form of assistance. From Scholarships and Grants to Loans and Work-Study programs, there are options for many financial situations.
Attending college, big or small, must be considered from all angles. First, you must line your choice up with your calling. Many factors go into the process: where it is located, as well as tuition are all involved. God will lead you. Spend time in prayer and seek advice from trusted individuals. He will direct you where you should attend, the promise God gave to Isaiah still applies to you today.
Jeff S Bray wrote this article.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY DEVOTIONAL
Start your day together with God and the GOD TV team. Get a daily devotional and encouraging 2-3minute video direct to your inbox.Join today