Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
“Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: ‘May they prosper who love you’.” (Psalm 122:6)
You must have heard this instruction from Psalm 122, although you may not be familiar with the second part of the verse which comes with a promise of blessing. The Living Bible puts it this way: “May all who love this city prosper.”
It’s easy to overreact every time something happens in the Middle East, as if we were about to enter the final conflict and Armageddon was days away – but we need to see things in perspective and pray accordingly. That’s why newsletters such as the Israel Insider are vital to know what’s going on.
God is at work, the enemy is raging, and the plan of redemption continues to unfold. This is not the time to panic; this is the time to dig in! As the birth pangs increase in speed and intensity and duration, we know we are getting closer to the end. When we see the threat of war against Israel from all sides, and especially Iran, this reminds us of the words of Jesus, that there would be wars and rumours of wars.
The threat of war is directly in keeping with what Jesus said would happen. The devil is trying to bring about great disaster and war before that final end, attempting to wreak whatever havoc he can and to destroy as many lives as possible. We should therefore pray for God’s restraining hand in the Middle East, not allowing Satan’s evil plans to triumph.
- The Bible teaches us that we must occupy until Jesus returns, to watch and to pray. Pray that God’s plans and purposes for the Middle East will be realised and the strategies of the evil one shall be brought to nothing.
- Pray that negotiations would continue between the Palestinians and the Israelis to find solutions to this complex situation without the Palestinians’ unilaterally declaring statehood and imposing their own solution, which could have volatile ramifications.
- Thankfully today the USA is standing by Israel like never before. However this has not always been the case. Pray that the USA continues to support Israel and veto the UN Security Council Resolutions which have been brought against her, more than any other country.
- Pray that Jerusalem will not be divided.“I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give Him no rest till He establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth” (Isaiah 62:6-7). We are called to pray for the peace of Jerusalem (Psalm 122) and, more specifically, to give God no rest until “He establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth.” Jerusalem is the chosen city, but it is a city in desperate need of divine visitation.
- Pray for God’s purposes for Jerusalem to stand, for all attempts to wrestle it out of Jewish hands to fail, for war and disaster to be held back until the appointed time.
- Pray that God will have mercy on everyone involved, Arab and Jew alike, bringing an end to all bloodshed. Pray for the salvation of lost souls, and for God’s prophetic purposes to come to pass.
- Pray for the Gospel to go forth in love and power and compassion. Pray for divine opportunities for Jesus to be exalted in the Middle East.