In December 2017, US President Donald Trump recognized what has been a reality for decades: Jerusalem is the Israeli capital. On 14 May 2018 we celebrated the opening of the American Embassy in Jerusalem, which is an historic breakthrough.
“Jerusalem is the seat of the modern Israeli government today,” the US President said. “It is the home of the Israeli Parliament, the Knesset, as well as the Israeli Supreme Court. It is the location of the official residence of the prime minister and the president and it is the headquarters of many government ministries. Today we finally acknowledge the obvious, that Jerusalem is Israel’s capital. This is nothing more or less than a recognition of reality. It is also the right thing to do.”
News reports vary from excitement to incitement. Some claim it is prophetic, while others say it will destroy the peace process. These ten points that will hopefully help you process this. They focus on current events and biblical prophecy.
Jerusalem – Israeli Capital
- Many people say that there is no need to recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli capital. Would it matter to you if virtually every nation refused to recognize Washington DC as the US Capital? If instead, they chose LA, Detroit or Chicago?
- Turkey is saying that recognizing Jerusalem is a “red line” and that it will cut off ties with Israel. If they had any real courage they would cut off ties with the USA, as it is a US action. Israel has claimed since January 23, 1950 that Jerusalem is the Israeli capital.
- Hamas and other terror groups are saying Trump’s actions on Jerusalem are an atrocity. They are calling for a new intifada. Meanwhile, they’ve had nothing to say about Assad using chemical weapons, ISIS murdering Muslims and Christians. They forget 500,000 people are dead in Syria, 10 million refugees, the treatment of women in the Arab world, etc. There are real atrocities to be angry about—this is not one of them.
- God predicted (or foreknew) thousands of years ago that the time Old City of Jerusalem would be the most controversial city in the world. Psalm 2 speaks of the nations raging against God over Jerusalem, saying “I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain.”
- Zech. 12:2-3 speaks of the nations suffering judgment for standing against Israel in the end-times: “I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling… On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves.” (The passage speaks of a specific war, where God will give Jerusalem victory, but the principle is the same: Be careful nations who mess with Jerusalem)
- For all the outrage, people seem to forget that Jerusalem has hardly been important to the Arab world. It has never the been the capital of any Arab nation. It was only when the Jews began to return to Israel that this counterfeit zeal for Jerusalem was birthed in the Arab world. The Islamic Ottomans controlled Jerusalem for 400 years and let it become desolate.
- On the other hand, God chose Jerusalem to be the place were His house would be built (1 Chronicles 28) and it has been the capital of the Hebrew nation since King David, more than 3,000 years ago. Jerusalem (or Zion) is mentioned nearly 1,000 times in the Old Testament and ZERO times in the Quran.
- The entire New Testament centers around Israel, and Yeshua’s finals days—his death, resurrection and birth of the early congregation—were in Jerusalem. Mohamed never visited Jerusalem; there is only a vague mention of a one-time night visit in a dream to al-Masjid al-Aqsa, which Muslims claim is Jerusalem. You will not find anything close to this in the Quran: “How can we sing the songs of the Lord while in a foreign land? If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill. May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem, my highest joy.” (Psalm 137:5-6).
- The Arab League leader said a US decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is an “unjustified provocation” for Arabs. See point #3. There are so many atrocities in the Arab world and you do nothing, but this (and cartoons) is a provocation!? Really?
- I have heard from leftwing congressmen and congresswomen and world leaders that this will significantly hurt the peace process. WHAT PEACE PROCESS!?!? The Palestinians are forming a unity government with Hamas terrorists. They will not recognize Israel as a Jewish state and continue to teach their children to hate Jews. They name city squares, streets and schools after terrorists who blew up innocent Jewish women and children. You can’t damage something that doesn’t exist. There is no peace process.
In conclusion, if you find the news reports and reactions from around the world alarming, take heart. We are closer than we were before. Our redemption is drawing close.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY DEVOTIONAL
Start your day together with God and the GOD TV team. Get a daily devotional and encouraging 2-3minute video direct to your inbox.Join today