The ‘LOST CHILD’ Song aims to create awareness about the crisis faced by vulnerable children around the world who suffer violence in many different forms. This could include child trafficking, child marriage, rape, FGM, child labor, child prostitution and war.
Produced by the global Handsoff Campaign the song calls for an end to all sexual, physical, and emotional abuse experienced by children.
#HANDSOFF is a British initiative led by Judith Clegg and Cher Chevalier.
The song was released in the UK on 20 June 2019 to coincide with World Refugee Day. It was co-written by Handsoff’s Cher Chevalier; Grammy Award-winning producer, Richard Adlam and London based platinum-selling songwriter, Danielle Senior. It features guitars by Rob Harris and strings from Dave Etherington.
The Handsoff campaign has received widespread support from many different celebrities world-class sportsmen in the UK, Argentina and elsewhere. It is endorsed by Missing Children Europe, as well as The Ark of Hope for Children. Handsoff promotes ActionAid, MSF, Save the Children, UNICEF, and War Child UK.
Lost Child, Where Are You Now?
Handsoff is calling for people to post videos to their social media platforms saying: “Lost Child, Where Are You Now?” and to use the hashtag #lostchildsong. You may quote any of the following statistics each of which is equally shocking. We need to pray for an end to this violence against children worldwide.
- During the last decade, child victims of war included: 2 million killed; 4-5 million disabled; 12 million left homeless; over 1 million orphaned.(UNICEF)
- Approx 350 million children are living in war zones from South Sudan and the Republic of Congo to Syria and Myanmar. (Save The Children)
- In 2015, 91% of children who arrived in Europe on their own were boys. (Missing Children Europe)
- 10,000 children went missing in Europe between 2014 and 2016. (Europol)
- Every two minutes a child is reported missing in the EU. (Missing Children Europe)
- 4.4 million children are in need of humanitarian assistance in the Democratic Republic of Congo. (War Child)
- 5.3 million children are in need of humanitarian assistance in Afghanistan. (War Child)
- 2 million children are subjected to prostitution in the global commercial sex trade. (UNICEF)
- The average trafficking victim is aged 11 to 14. The average life span of a trafficking victim is 7 years. (Ark of Hope for Children)
- 152 million children aged between 5 and 17 are subjected to child labour. (UN)
- Approx 50% of Rohingya girls raped while fleeing Myanmar were under 18, including one girl who was just 9-years-old and many others under the age of 10. (MSF)
- 15 million girls are forced to marry each year, that’s 28 girls every minute. (ActionAid)
Together we can end violence against children.
“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14)
The official Lost Child song launched on 20th June 2019 (World Refugee Day) and is now available to stream/download at iTunes