Here are 12 Bible verses you must read if you’re going through depression:
1. Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
In this very moment, even if you feel like you’re alone, God is always with you. He never left.
2. Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
Tell God how you feel, even negativity and receive His love for you. Think of His goodness in your life and start counting your blessings.
3. Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Depression will make you feel you can’t do anything. But through this verse, you’ll be reminded that through Christ, nothing is impossible. You can overcome even the darkest hours.
4. John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
If there is someone who can deeply relate with how you feel, that is Jesus. He was tempted by the devil for 40 days, rejected by His disciples when he was arrested. He went through emotional despair but He overcame. And He is with you in this process. Trust His Word.
5. Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
If you feel hopeless, there is hope. It might look so great right now, but this is God’s promise through His Word.
6. Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
In this battle, you are not alone. God is with you during this darkest hour and He wants you to rest upon Him and let Him fight for you.
7. Psalm 34:18, “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”
Struggling with depression is very hard. God knows that and trust that He will save you from yourself. Claim this promise. He will save you.
8. 1 Peter 5:7, “Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.”
God not only listens to you but He truly cares for you. You going through depression is breaking His heart as well. And He wants to carry all those burdens for you because He loves you.
9. Psalm 23:4, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Even in this dark season that you don’t understand what is going on and what’s gonna happen, trust that God is guiding you on a righteous path forward. And in this journey, He is your Comforter.
10. Psalm 9:9, “The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.”
When you’re depressed, it’s easy to assume that no one cares. But through this difficult time in your life, know that God is your stronghold.
11. Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
If you feel scared with what you’re going through right now, rest in this promise from God to you. He is with you whatever may come.
12. Isaiah 41:10, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
When depression seems like taking over you, God will help you, strengthen you, and uphold you.
Reference: Woman’s Day